Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Fun Places to Explore with Kids: Hawaii!

Since we live in the currently COLD Northern hemisphere, (full of snow and the flu! I am DONE with coughing and fevers please!) my mind has been wandering back to warmer places. My husband Brian's work took us to Oahu, Hawaii a few years back. I more than kind of wish we were on our way back right now.   The photo below was from our first hotel room in Waikiki. 


 Brian was singing with the Honolulu Symphony, and they  housed us in a very beautiful hotel.  We felt a bit out of place with our two kids among the hotel's main clientele of wealthy Japanese tourists.  The hotel had security guards all around, and I kept expecting them to ask us if we needed help finding our way to a moderately priced hotel we could afford. 
 

Waikiki was fun, but crowded and busy!  

 Thankfully my baby would wear a hat.  Granted I'm biased, but she was a cute baby.  (She's a giant, beautiful 5 year old now!) 

Is there any better travel toy than match box cars?  My son has amassed a huge car collection over the years, and has an incredible ability to remember each car and where he got it. 

Our fancy hotel did prove very family friendly over Easter.  They put on a wonderful egg hunt and breakfast for all the families staying at the hotel.  I love my little boy's excited face at the egg hunt, and my daughter got to sit with the Easter Bunny. That maybe was a little scary for her, holy giant bunny!
 
 

We found a shrimp truck we loved in Waikiki and were lucky to find the same company up on the North Shore.  We did really love those shrimp trucks.  

Just a couple of details from the lays my husband received from the Honolulu Symphony.  It is beyond incredible the work that goes into those beautiful lays that only last a few days.  
 

After my husband was done with his work, we felt we had no choice but to spend an extra week up on the North Shore. We had some friends up there who helped get us set up with family friendly activities.   Below is Waimea Falls, a very kid/stroller/family friendly beautiful walk where you end up at this waterfall.  There were many peacocks, and one charged us!  Thankfully we were able to get out of the way, it was a little scary and intense.  Don't mess with the peacocks.   
 

We had to head to Matsumoto's for some famous real Hawaiian shaved ice.  

My son was delighted, as we had spent most of the week in Waikiki looking for a blue frozen treat for him.  Kids want what kids want, and he was in a blue phase.  

We also spent a fun day on the Dole Plantation.  Baby pineapples are a little too darling.  

And a couple times, we ran into some giant sea turtles.  

I would like to see this view again.  

We also spent a great day at the Polynesian Cultural Center, and stayed for the luau.  The fire dancers changed my son's life, and my baby girl fell asleep.

Touring is exhausting!  

Another amazing view.  Now I'm just getting depressed to think about it.  

And a little nursing break with our phil&teds, our first e3, such a great old stroller.  I do wish for an annual Hawaii trip, but we will have to get used to our snow and cold.   

No comments:

Post a Comment